Friday, January 23, 2015

Tuesday January 13

"A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I don't know what it is about O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find" that I find unsettling. Honestly, its not the gore, or the lack of deep characters. I guess its how other readers react to the grandmother. I know its weird to come to the defense of a seemingly unlikable character. I guess its because (not to seem pretentious) I have always had a soft spot for the elderly.  I find that stories about old folks who are slightly off to be sweet because I've known a lot of elderly people who are kind of goofy. I've volunteered in old folks homes as well as have had many elderly family members on both sides of my family. I guess this story bugs me because of the lack of sympathy towards the grandmother. I like the idea of putting good karma out there, like if I am respectful of the elderly's idiosyncrasies then the universe will return that to me when I am 80 years old, in a diaper yelling at my television. In all honesty, I find disrespect for the elderly to be a heinous crime committed too often. I can't stand watching people looking for a power trip picking on easy targets. I don't know where this tangent is going....

No comments:

Post a Comment