Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Friday, January 19


Death of A Salesman

Age is a disease that takes more from individuals than the body and the mind alone. So much more than that is lost to its victims. Poor Willy, as he is introduced to us, is unable to drive safely. Stricken with the struggles that come with age, he is no longer able to work, a blow to his pride. This is such a sad story. I remember my own grandmother and the year she was told she would not be permitted to drive anymore. I remember soon before then, she drove me to Chuck-E-Cheese. Even as a young child I knew the driving was nothing like my parents, the way she turned and pressed on the breaks. Young as I was, it made me sad to see my grandma being stripped of her liberties as Willy is in "Death of a Salesman". Like Willy, my grandmother began to see herself as a burden to be dealt with in haste and annoyance, or at least as it pertained to her means of transportation. Seeing Willy unravel is touching and devastating all at once. It inspires empathy and pity. R. I. P. Willy.

No comments:

Post a Comment