Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 2

Tuesday, January 6th


Last year I read "Cathedral" in two different classes. I also read "Araby" and "A & P" in my Happiness IDST class. Out of all of these, I'd say that possibly "A & P" was the most intriguing to me. Like mentioned in the previous post, my previous experience with the works were rather shallow. I don't know why but "A & P" reminded me of the movie "Stand by Me". To me, each had a way of sending the message that childhood was on its way out. Granted, both have their differences, but to me the main theme drawn from "A & P" was that childhood. Mr. Cashier wanted to be the hero, the knight in shining armor that would save girls from the wicked boss. Much to his disappointment, the guy leaves the store after abruptly and heroically quitting, only to find his damsels in distress not waiting for him to ride off into the sunset. Although it may seem crass, that is what I interpret the main idea of the story to be; the narrator's childish disappointment. His heroic act was his "train dodge". He was risking all for ego, much like in "Stand By Me".



No comments:

Post a Comment